Other Support Services

Other Support Services The legal system in Australia can be new to many students and it is important to understand student rights and obligations, both as a student, and as a resident of Australia. The college cannot provide legal advice, but is able to assist with general information about how to find legal information or where to look for legal advice.

College’s Student Counsellor is able to assist with these matters. Student can contact various legal services available in Australia.

  • Redfern Legal Centre It is an independent, non-profit community centre that promotes social justice and human rights, with free legal advice, referral and casework to NSW international students. (02) 9698 7277; www.rlc.org.au/our-services/international-students
  • Legal Aid: You can receive free assistance on issues of legal rights, either face to face or over the phone. 1300 888 529 www.legalaid.nsw.gov.au
  • Free Legal Advice for International Students Covers:
    • Accommodation legal issues
    • Job, money issues, car accidents and fines
    • Discrimination, domestic violence and family law
    • Complaints about the college

Students can make an appointment in person or via electronic communications with Student Counsellor to discuss how problems such as those above can affect the Student Visa and other rights and responsibilities.

Health and Emergency Services

Most medical clinics are not open seven days and do not have 24-hour service. In non-emergency situations, you can call Healthdirect any time for advice phone 1800 022 222.

  • Local medical centre is at Sydney Premier Medical & Health Centre, 309 Pitt St, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Tel: (02) 8964 8677 (open 8:00am to 6:00pm)
  • MediCentral, Level 11/501 George St, Regent Place Shopping Centre, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Tel: (02) 8378 6666 (open 9:00am to 6:00pm)
  • St. Vincent’s Private Hospital, 406 Victoria St., Darlinghurst, NSW, 2010, Tel: (02) 8382 7111 (open 24 hours)
  • Healthdirect Australia is a free helpline assisting you with non-urgent illnesses when the doctor is not open. Phone 1800 022 222
  • Lifeline A crisis support hotline if you need mental health support from someone. Phone 13 11 14 www.lifeline.org.au
  • Emergency for Ambulance, Police and Fire: Please call 000 for emergent situations to ask for Ambulance, Police and Fire Rescue services. Please state which service you need and your location with the street number and name.
  • Police (Non-Emergency Enquiries): The number and websites are for non-urgent use of police assistance, as well as finding out safety information. 13 44 44; www.police.nsw.gov.au
  • Day Street Police Station, 192 Day Street, Sydney, NSW, 2000, Tel: (02) 9265 6499 (open 24 hours)
  • The Rocks Police Station, 132 George St, The Rocks, 2000, Tel: (02) 8220 6399 (open 24 hours)


Student’s Obligation to Maintain a Valid Visa and Health Insurance: International students must ensure that they maintain a valid visa and any health insurance (OHSC) required as a condition of their visa. Visa and health insurance renewal is the responsibility of the student.

Student can have various OSHC insurance providers; some of them shown below.

The web site below also provides comparisons between various OSHC providers.

Overseas Student Health Cover Refunds Where a student leaves Australia before the expiry date of their student visa, a partial refund may be available from the insurer. Claims must be presented to the insurer directly using the appropriate insurer forms with proof of exit from Australia. If you have taken out OSHC (health insurance) through a private provider, you will need to contact that provider directly regarding their refunds.

For more information, contact our Support Officer below:
Phone: +61 1300 186 729
Email: [email protected]